Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ice Experiment (A to Z Challenge)


Exploring the world around us is fun! 
This fun experiment will show how ice melts. 

Find out what makes ice melt. You'll need 4 identical glasses, 4 ice cubes, 1tbls salt, 1tbls sugar, 1tbls water, and a kitchen timer. Before you start explain the process and ask the kids which ice cube will melt first, and why they think that.



Label the glasses 1 through 4. Then place the salt in glass #1. Place the sugar in glass #2. Place the water in glass #3. And, leave the 4th glass empty for now. Then have the children place 1 ice cube in each glass and set the timer for 5 minutes. Which ice cube is melting the fastest? Re-set the timer if needed until all ice cubes are melted. How long did it take each one? Have the children guess as to why.


2 comments:

  1. Oh but you have to tell me know why some ice cubes will melt faster than others, given the sugar, salt and water are all the same temperature!!! So glad to have discovered your blog via the A-Z challenge (I'm also doing the A-Z posts) because even though I don't homeschool, I still love to do fun and educational things with my kids like this. Will have to check out some of your other posts. I'm a new follower too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, my hat's off to homeschooling parents! I thought about it, but I lack the right temperament and discipline to do it in a way that would benefit the kids. It takes a lot of work and I think you have to really have a passion for it.

    I'll be coming back for more experiments/projects! What a great resource!

    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete